Yield 4 Servings
Prep-time 45 Minutes
Cook Time 15 Minutes
- 4-6oz portions salmon
- Vegetable oil
- ¼ cup cracked mixed peppercorns, crushed
- Cabernet Franc-Blackberry Sauce, recipe follows
Rub the salmon with the vegetable oil and then coat with the peppercorns. Heat a saute pan over high heat and add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add the salmon and cook about 2-3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the salmon it may be necessary to finish in a 350° oven for up to 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and serve with the blackberry sauce.
CABERNET FRANC BLACKBERRY SAUCE
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1½ cup 2007 Pedroni Vineyard Cabernet Franc
- ½ cup blackberry vinegar
- 1 cup blackberries, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1 cup veal stock
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature, cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a small saucepan; add shallots and saute 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with the Cabernet Franc and vinegar. Bring to a boil and reduce until almost dry. Add the blackberries and veal stock; reduce again by half.
- Strain sauce and pour back into the pan. Bring sauce back to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and whisk the butter in a piece at a time. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with a few fresh blackberries.